Thursday, July 4, 2013

My journey to the stage without a diet or coach...

Oh hi,

Yep this blog is only ALOT overdue...It was a little over a month ago since I last stepped on stage and have been meaning to write this reflection on my experience ever since but I decided to release a eCookbook instead haha.

One thing I can say is I had no idea what to expect as a first time competitor. Having decided would compete in the middle of the 2012 season while observing others prep, I had set my goal for the early comps in May and June of 2013, and with some encouragement from a few people (inc. my Bikini sponser and good friend Anj, who at the time was just starting her company Angie Baby Kini's); I then spent the following 8 months educating myself on how eat and train to bring a physique to the stage (at the time my goal was fitness model mind you).

Before this I was a clean eating advocate as you would know if you follow my page, but didn't understand the importance of macro-nutrient goals and delivery in relationship to training and how much it could benefit you. I also wasn't a heavy lifter, I did some weight training in conjunction with my WOD's and other body weight routines, but usually in a lower weight and higher rep range because I was so used to that muscle burn being the indicator of the exercise working (I know...I know...I was a nube). After doing a lot of research and reading, I had grasped the concept of "If it fits your macros" and worked out my maintenance calories and my cutting calories and the macro splits as I went along. I tried to structure a set diet (because I thought I had too at the time), but it never worked and I always ate what I wanted in the end and just fit in my macros, so I just stuck with that approach throughout my prep.

I then started to lift heavy as I could within the 6-8 reps range and dropped the cardio routines back to a few times a week. I really wanted to bring my upper body up to speed with my quad development to try and balance my physique out.

When it came closer to comp prep time, I made sure all the foods I was eating were clean and high in vegetable and clean carb sources and dropped my cheating down to every 12 to 14 days. I started a little earlier as I was probably sitting above 16% body fat at 17 weeks out and wanted to take my time to lean out with out going on stupidly restrictive calories and resorting to hours of cardio. I dropped my calories very slowly (and never went below 500 calories of my total maintenance) and did then short intense HIIT sessions or hill sprints for cardio every few days.

The first month was the fastest change I dropped from 15% to 12% in a matter of weeks, but I expected that, and it then slowed down from there. Once I was 3 weeks out, I started to carb cycle (something I hope I don't have to do again if I have my metabolism working efficiently on high calories for the next comp season), the carb cycling was the hardest, even though my diet was fun and exciting and I never dropped my carbs on a low day to much less then 100g, it still took it out of you once your glycogen was depleted. Once I had got to that stage where my body was relying on the refeed, I noticed my ability to lift was gone, I had to drop back to high reps and low weight, lots of plyos and HIIT cardio 5 days a week...I actually looked forward to the cardio because the weights sessions were so hard and exhausting. I think thats the general consensus for competitors however, esp. on the last low carb days, but having kept my calories high and cardio short and intense, I think I had manage to prevent any muscle wastage.

When it came to comp week, I followed my normal carb cycle, but cut out anything that would cause water retention or bloating like dairy, sweeteners and protein and gasey vegetable. But considering everything else was working for me I didn't see the need to change anything else, I dropped training at 4 days out and changed my cardio to lower intensity sessions so prevent any muscle soreness.

Drying out was on the issues that was difficult for me, I retain a lot of water naturally, so I actually water loaded for the 3 days before and started to dry out on mid - morning of the day before and cut water after dinner the day prior also. I took no diuretics or shredders..all natty baby! In reflection, I probably came in drier for my first comp because I water loaded properly prior and came in leaner in the second comp.

 On the day I woke up (with my first coat of tan already  on) looking like a different person, legs had definition and I could see the line on my last set of abs....it was amazing to see my body like that. Then being back stage, after 17 weeks of prep, reality kicked in! I couldn't wipe the smile of my face and in addition my posse kept me very calm and were super helpful.

Due to my study load I wasn't able to practice my routine and poses as much as Id like and it probably showed, I just wasn't confident in performing the moves and I didn't marry up with my chosen song that well...Plus first time nerves as well...but I didn't forget a move and I did my best! I placed 3rd in novice figure (remember I said I had aimed for fitness...yeh well I ended up in figure 0_o)...I was super happy with my efforts (and keen to eat my post comp pancakes...with yogurt...and peanut butter...and shit loads of expensive out of season fruit)..

I allowed myself one day of indulgence, after not cheating for 6 weeks prior to the comp and it was mostly fruit and peanut butter anyway, then it was back on track for the next show in 3 weeks. I place fourth in a bigger line up this time...which in retrospect, to me meant I did better lol...

I'd have to say the hardest part of competing isn't the dedication to a diet or the training, even when your flat as fuck, is the post comp nothingness...having no restriction after comp is the most dangerous part. I was straight back in the gym after a few days off...but boy did I eat my fair share of nut butter...I made myself sick...Having to slowly re-introduce calories/carbs back into the diet without and immediate reason for it is a struggle. Im doing it...but its hard. Dropping the amount of cardio back to a few a week is the easiest part, and I guess that excess calories from cheating has helped with my energy levels to lift again
.
What im saying is I spent so much time building a routine for comp prep, the only way to not fall of the wagon is to make a new routine...pretend your always prepping for something in the future (which you technically are if your planning to compete again) and also accept that your not going to stay comp ripped all the time...I now have a love for my post comp body...higher carbs means your muscles are always full and more fruit means your veins are always popping and just the overall energy I have is healthier. I plan to be able to maintain a relatively lean pysique so prep for next season isn't so long and I also plan to get to a very high calorie maintenance level in the offseason, so im not dropping as low in calories as last time. These are the challenges im giving myself for now and off course to enjoy peanut butter with my pancakes and to be able to have milk in my coffee...Im simple person to please haha...

Hope you guys enjoyed my outlook to prep and gave you a insight.

Thanks for your time,

Nikki
oxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment